- Who are the ’30 under 30′ rising stars of Florida politics?
- Meet Lindsey Perkins — one of the 30 under 30 rising stars of Florida politics
- Hillary Clinton lends star power to Charlie Crist funder Oct. 2
- Al Higginbotham grows campaign cash lead over Hillsborough County Commission opponent, Pat Kemp
- Meet Lauren Book — one of the 30 under 30 rising stars in Florida politics
- Patrick Murphy launches new ad focusing on local job growth
- Meet Erin Daly Ballas — one of the 30 under 30 rising stars in Florida politics
Scott signs Rouson’s ‘bong ban’ into law
Stores selling certain hardware typically used for smoking marijuana have until July 1 to unload those items, reports the News Service of Florida.
Among about a dozen bills signed Wednesday by Gov. Rick Scott was the “bong ban” bill (HB 49), which prohibits the sale of metal, wooden, acrylic, glass, stone, plastic, or ceramic smoking pipes, chillums or bongs. The bill allowed pipes to continue to be sold that are primarily made of briar, meerschaum, clay or corn cob, which are typically used to smoke tobacco.
The bill’s sponsor, Rep. Darryl Rouson has said the bill wouldn’t eradicate pot smoking, but “we’re going to stop making it convenient.”
The original bill also included a surtax on the sale of paraphernalia, a provision that went up in smoke in the no-tax Legislature.