- Jeff Brandes endorses Bill Young for House District 68
- Satanists to distribute pamphlets at Florida schools after school board allows religious materials
- Captain Citrus, Florida’s newest Marvel superhero, makes first appearance in Tampa
- Once-troubled reverse mortgages poised for rebound
- Today on Context Florida: Entrepreneurs, political priorities, veggies and Pensacola after Ivan
- Florida’s ‘Gray Belt’ a glimpse at nation’s future
Concerns grow about the health of Congressman Bill Young
The only member of Florida’s congressional delegation who missed last night’s historic vote ending the shutdown of the federal government was Pinellas County’s C.W. Bill Young. This missed vote coming so close after Congressman Young’s recent announcement that he would not seek re-election in 2014 is prompting widespread speculation about the status of Rep. Young’s health.
Currently, Young is at Walter Reed Hospital undergoing treatment for a debilitating back injury. However, dozens of reporters and political observers from Tampa Bay to Washington D.C., are privately speculating that Young may be suffering from more than a back injury. Those following the situation are attempting to glean any information about Young’s condition, despite Young’s family and closest advisers, including Harry Glenn and David Jolly, not speaking on the record about the status of Young’s health beyond Glenn’s comment that, “He is still there (Walter Reed) and continuing to receive treatment.” (Per Alex Leary of the Tampa Bay Times.)
Politics, like nature, abhors a vacuum. And the relative silence from Young’s circle is only serving to fuel the rampant speculation about Young’s status.
For my part, I am praying for Congressman Young’s health, regardless of its status. Please join me in praying that all he is suffering from is a back injury.