- Polk County business alliance launches “No Tax No Way” online campaign
- Tampa Bay Rays pitch $25,000 into Greenlight Pinellas campaign
- Rick Scott campaign approaches $8M in fundraising
- Carlos Curbelo calls Medicare and Social Security “Ponzi schemes” in DC talk
- Florida Supreme Court holds testy hearing on secret evidence
- Florida Democrats pounce as 6,000 Florida jobs disappear
Bud Chiles running for Governor as Independent
Lawton “Bud” Chiles III, the son of the late Florida governor who walked the state to deliver his message to voters, announced Thursday he was running for governor as an independent and spurning corporate cash.
“The political parties are not the solution. They are part of a system that pitts big money against big money,” he told reporters in Tallahassee. “I won’t play that game.”
Chiles said he would not accept party or corporate dollars and would limit individual contributions to $250, saying that freedom from big donors would allow him to make bolder environmental and educational reforms.