- Patrick Murphy to seek national Silver Alert program
- How the First District Court of Appeal ignored Florida voters
- On Tim Morgan: The man behind the man behind the fight for medical marijuana in Florida
- 5 things to know about possible Senate uncertainty
- Declining median incomes becomes anti-Rick Scott talking point for Fla. Dems
- Astronauts getting 3-D printer at space station
Glen Gilzean announces bid for Pinellas County School Board
“Since being appointed to the School Board, I have worked tirelessly to improve the educational opportunities of Pinellas County’s students,” Gilzean said. “And what I’ve seen since becoming a member of the Board has inspired me to dedicate myself further to bettering our children’s schools and lives.
In January, Governor Rick Scott appointed Gilzean to fill the vacancy created by the death of School Board Member Lew Williams.
“One of my priorities, if elected, will be to identify wasteful spending,” Gilzean said. ”By shifting those funds, I believe we can provide wage increases to our teachers and support staff.”
Gilzean, 30, of St. Petersburg, has been the executive director of Educate Today Inc. since 2009.
Previously, he was a regional field director for the Florida Department of Education from 2006 to 2009. Gilzean served as chair of the Hillsborough Head Start/Early Head Start Policy Council.
He served on the legislative staff for U.S. Senator Mel Martinez and district staff for State Representative Ed Homan. His additional board membership includes the National Foundation for Teaching Entrepreneurship, the Florida Attorney General’s Gang Reduction Task Force and the Florida Afterschool Network.