- Obama promoting economic gains as elections near
- Scott and Crist bash each other at campaign events
- Take a cue, Sea World: ‘Dolphin Tale’ aquarium plans to drop animal shows
- Ex-Republican Charlie Crist is Florida Democrats big hope
- Poll: For 56% of Americans, Labor Day means Summer’s over
- Marco Rubio changes tune on immigration; is it enough for conservatives?
Glen Gilzean announces bid for Pinellas County School Board
“Since being appointed to the School Board, I have worked tirelessly to improve the educational opportunities of Pinellas County’s students,” Gilzean said. “And what I’ve seen since becoming a member of the Board has inspired me to dedicate myself further to bettering our children’s schools and lives.
In January, Governor Rick Scott appointed Gilzean to fill the vacancy created by the death of School Board Member Lew Williams.
“One of my priorities, if elected, will be to identify wasteful spending,” Gilzean said. ”By shifting those funds, I believe we can provide wage increases to our teachers and support staff.”
Gilzean, 30, of St. Petersburg, has been the executive director of Educate Today Inc. since 2009.
Previously, he was a regional field director for the Florida Department of Education from 2006 to 2009. Gilzean served as chair of the Hillsborough Head Start/Early Head Start Policy Council.
He served on the legislative staff for U.S. Senator Mel Martinez and district staff for State Representative Ed Homan. His additional board membership includes the National Foundation for Teaching Entrepreneurship, the Florida Attorney General’s Gang Reduction Task Force and the Florida Afterschool Network.