- It’s official: Jay Fant beats Paul Renner in HD 15 by two votes
- John Morgan goes “unplugged” with NSFW rant at post-debate rally for medical marijuana
- With some Tampa Bay’ers breaking ranks, Eric Eisnaugle has all but locked up Speaker’s race
- George Sheldon accepts Pam Bondi debate challenge, then raises her
- Legislative committee schedule released
- St. Pete Chamber of Commerce announces “Good ‘Burgers” — and it has nothing to do with food
Michael Van Sickler will be the new Michael Bender at the Tampa Bay Times
Good guy Van Sickler has been covering St. Petersburg’s City Hall since she-who-will-not-be-named-left-for-Nevada. But Van Sickler has also been doing stints in Tally during the legislative session and, it would seem, passed some sort of unofficial tryout (otherwise known as the Bousquet Games).
It is interesting to note that with Van Sickler transitioning to the Tallahassee bureau, along with the recent departures of David DeCamp and Rita Farlow, the Times will have new reporters covering the three most important governmental organizations in Pinellas (St. Pete’s City Hall, the County Commission and the Pinellas Sheriff’s office).
As I wrote previously, it’s no longer a question of quis custodiet ipsos custodes, it’s a question of who are the custodis.
But enough of that for today, Van Sickler is a genuinely good (if deceptively so) reporter whose work was obviously energized when he was covering state politics. He’s a good addition to an already solid team.
Best of luck, Mike.