- Tampa Bay’s Campaign Weekender for July 25-28
- Breaking: Associated Industries of Florida says it really likes Rick Scott!
- After railing against super PACs, Obama embraces secretive elements of unlimited political fundraising
- Obama aides says impeachment threat taken seriously
- U.S. Rep. David Jolly making it clear he is not endorsing Peter Nehr in county commission race
- 100 days before election, Charlie Crist to hold “Weekend of Action”
Former Senate candidate Jeff Greene’s lawsuit against Tampa Bay Times tossed by court
A lawsuit by billionaire former U.S. Senate candidate Jeff Greene against the Tampa Bay Times and the Miami Herald was tossed Monday by Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Valerie Manno-Schurr, the Times reported. Greene sued the papers, which share resources on political and government stories, over articles that focused on an old business deal and a party on the billionaire’s yacht, as well as an editorial about the business deal. Greene argued that those items hurt his 2010 run for Senate, which ended when he lost the Democratic primary to then-Congressman Kendrick Meek. “In America, we have a lot of latitude to talk about important public matters like a candidate for the U.S. Senate, and the press should be able to write about political events without fear of being sued,” said George Rahdert, an attorney for the Times Publishing Co. Greene’s lawyer vowed to appeal.
Via The News Service of Florida.