- Tampa Bay’s Campaign Weekender for July 25-28
- Breaking: Associated Industries of Florida says it really likes Rick Scott!
- After railing against super PACs, Obama embraces secretive elements of unlimited political fundraising
- Obama aides says impeachment threat taken seriously
- U.S. Rep. David Jolly making it clear he is not endorsing Peter Nehr in county commission race
- 100 days before election, Charlie Crist to hold “Weekend of Action”
Florida Power & Light earnings up in first quarter
FPL had net income of $239 million, or 58 cents a share, compared with $205 million, or 49 cents a share, during the same period in 2011, according to a company news release. The parent firm, NextEra Energy Inc., had net income of $461 million, or $1.11 a share, compared with $268 million, or 64 cents a share, during the first three months of 2011. In announcing the earnings, Juno Beach-based NextEra pointed to major projects that FPL has undertaken and to a base-rate case pending at the Florida Public Service Commission. The projects include a new natural-gas plant at Cape Canaveral in Brevard County that is scheduled to start operating in 2013 and a plan to build a new plant at Port Everglades in Broward County.