- Did last year’s government shut down lead to a baby boom in D.C.?
- After just a single public comment, Pinellas School Board approves initial $1.2B budget
- Insurers: 2015 exchange rates likely to spike
- Today on Context Florida: Florida disaster, tax holidays, getting high and El Paso
- State employees union, AFSCME, donates $1million to Charlie Crist’s political committee
- Processing issue delays bar exam submissions
Iran and porn
A fascinating report via Andrew Sullivan:
The Arab world’s median age is 22, Iran’s is 27; Western Europe’s, by contrast, is near 40. High levels of Internet and satellite television penetration, with their pervasive pornography, coupled with the region’s youthful demographics, have accentuated the Muslim Middle East’s fraught relationship with sexuality. Google Trends, which monitors searches from around the world, shows that of the seven countries that most frequently search the word “sex” on Google, five are Muslim and one (India) has a large Muslim minority. Google Insights, another trend spotter, shows that the most rapidly rising search term for Iranians so far in 2012 has been “Golshifteh Farahani,” a popular exiled actress who in January posed topless for the French magazine Madame Figaro.