- Tampa Bay’s Campaign Weekender for July 25-28
- Breaking: Associated Industries of Florida says it really likes Rick Scott!
- After railing against super PACs, Obama embraces secretive elements of unlimited political fundraising
- Obama aides says impeachment threat taken seriously
- U.S. Rep. David Jolly making it clear he is not endorsing Peter Nehr in county commission race
- 100 days before election, Charlie Crist to hold “Weekend of Action”
Sarasota GOP to name Donald Trump 'Statesman of the Year' just before GOP convention
On the eve of the Republican National Convention this August, real estate mogul and reality TV star Donald Trump will accept an accolade of his own as he receives the 2012 “Statesman of the Year” award from the Sarasota Republican Party.
An invitation to the event, which serves as a fundraiser for the Sarasota GOP, shows ticket prices ranging from $150 for general admission to $1,000 for a private meeting with the outspoken Trump at the Ritz Carlton in Sarasota.
Trump spokesman Michael Cohen says Trump is “honored to be the recipient of this prestigious award,” which was bestowed in 2011 on former Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour. Then-presidential candidate Herman Cain delivered the keynote address at that ceremony.