- Obama, Clinton urge women to back Democrats
- While other 2016ers are building campaigns, Jeb Bush is building his business empire
- RNC again tops DNC; Democrats’ House and Senate committees best GOP rivals
- Florida town knew shooter had troubled past
- Jameis Winston benched for entire game versus Clemson
- Polk County business alliance launches “No Tax No Way” online campaign
Sarasota GOP to name Donald Trump 'Statesman of the Year' just before GOP convention
On the eve of the Republican National Convention this August, real estate mogul and reality TV star Donald Trump will accept an accolade of his own as he receives the 2012 “Statesman of the Year” award from the Sarasota Republican Party.
An invitation to the event, which serves as a fundraiser for the Sarasota GOP, shows ticket prices ranging from $150 for general admission to $1,000 for a private meeting with the outspoken Trump at the Ritz Carlton in Sarasota.
Trump spokesman Michael Cohen says Trump is “honored to be the recipient of this prestigious award,” which was bestowed in 2011 on former Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour. Then-presidential candidate Herman Cain delivered the keynote address at that ceremony.