- Who are the ’30 under 30′ rising stars of Florida politics?
- Orlando-area House challengers gain fundraising ground, with help of Florida GOP
- Sen. John Thrasher makes the cut; will be interviewed Tuesday for FSU president’s job
- St. Pete embraces the International Day of Peace
- Study shows Florida voters rejecting federal internet sales tax push
- FSU survives Clemson; can its reputation survive ‘Jameis being Jameis’?
- U.S. Rep. David Jolly calls on more days in session for Congress
Wondering how Rick Scott will embarrass us this time while he travels abroad
In May, Gov. Rick Scott opened his meeting with the King of Spain by bringing up Juan Carlos’ elephant hunting in Africa – a trip that when revealed proved embarrassing to the king. When beginning an audience with the king, Scott chose as his opening remark: “I’ve ridden elephants, I’ve never tried to shoot one.” After that ice breaker, Scott continued to talk about it, describing his own hunting trip to Botswana. The exchange got wide play in Spain, where the king had been lampooned for the embarrassing secret hunting trip.
This week, Scott heads to England, where he will attend the Farnborough International air show, one of the major aerospace and aviation industry gatherings, hoping to lure business to Florida.
But after Scott’s embarrassing trip to Spain, gubernatorial observers can’t help but wonder how Scott will manage to stick his foot in his mouth again. Here are five ‘ice breakers’ Scott should avoid when meeting English dignitaries.
“Do you enjoy movies? My favorite film is Braveheart. That William Wallace, he’ss one hell of a freedom fighter.”
“Have you ever visited the Falkland Islands? I hear they’re lovely.”
“How can a cow be mad? What does it have be so angry about?”
“Roger Moore is my favorite 007.”
“What do you have on your iPod? Me? Well, I have a lot of U2. I really enjoy their early stuff, like ‘Sunday, Bloody Sunday’ “
And the worst possible ice breaker with which Rick Scott could start off a conversation:
“When do I get to meet Princess Diana?”
Ouch, that last one is pretty bad. Not even Rick Scott could say something that cringe-worthy.