- GE plant to bring 250 jobs to Clearwater and $50 million in capital investment
- Daniel Diaz Leyva hits $200,000 raised mark in House District 112 race
- Ted Yoho is “biggest threat to GOP” in midterms, columnist says
- Times editorial: Rick Scott must stop misleading voters about rail
- First bills filed for 2015 legislative session
- Arthenia Joyner endorses Sean Shaw in HD 61
Democratic challenger Keith Ftizgerald outraises Rep. Vern Buchanan during second quarter
While the campaign of Vern Buchanan is touting its more than $2 million overall raised and more than $1.5 million in cash-on-hand, it’s the fact that Democratic challenger Keith Fitzgerald out-raised Buchanan during the second quarter that is turning heads in Sarasota and Washington, D.C.
Fitzgerald raised over $380,000 from April 1 to June 30, while Buchanan brought in $335,000.
“This level of support for our campaign is beyond anything we ever expect,” said Firtzgerald. “Our fundraising is a clear sign that people are tired of years of scandal and ongoing investigations facing Congressman Buchanan.”
Of course, Buchanan still has more than $1.5 million in cash on hand, in addition to his own personal wealth.
“It’s clear that we will have the resources to spread our positive message of hope and opportunity,” Buchanan spokeswoman Sally Tibbetts said. “We are appreciative of the tremendous support for Vern’s agenda of creating jobs and growing the economy.”