- Who are the ’30 under 30′ rising stars of Florida politics?
- Sen. John Thrasher makes the cut; will be interviewed Tuesday for FSU president’s job
- St. Pete embraces the International Day of Peace
- Study shows Florida voters rejecting federal internet sales tax push
- FSU survives Clemson; can its reputation survive ‘Jameis being Jameis’?
- U.S. Rep. David Jolly calls on more days in session for Congress
- Meet Kevin Cleary — one of the 30 under 30 rising stars in Florida politics
Aw darn, Tea Party darling, Rep. Joe Walsh, says he won't be coming to RNC in Tampa
One day on the heels of being named among the most vulnerable congressional incumbents in this fall’s election, fiery Tea Party-backed U.S. Rep. Joe Walsh (R-Ill.) announced he will not be attending the upcoming Republican National Convention.
“Rather than mingle with Party insiders in Tampa, I will be in the 8th district to continue to serve as an independent voice for for the people,” the freshman congressman said in a statement Thursday, CNN reports.
In his Thursday statement, Walsh invited Tammy Duckworth, his Democratic challenger in Illinois’ 8th congressional district, to skip her party’s convention in Charlotte. A Duckworth spokesman confirmed her attendance at the convention, where she will serve as vice chair of the Rules Committee, to the Chicago Sun-Times.
A number of other Republican figures will be skipping the GOP convention this year.