- GE plant to bring 250 jobs to Clearwater and $50 million in capital investment
- Daniel Diaz Leyva hits $200,000 raised mark in House District 112 race
- Ted Yoho is “biggest threat to GOP” in midterms, columnist says
- Times editorial: Rick Scott must stop misleading voters about rail
- First bills filed for 2015 legislative session
- Arthenia Joyner endorses Sean Shaw in HD 61
Aw darn, Tea Party darling, Rep. Joe Walsh, says he won't be coming to RNC in Tampa
One day on the heels of being named among the most vulnerable congressional incumbents in this fall’s election, fiery Tea Party-backed U.S. Rep. Joe Walsh (R-Ill.) announced he will not be attending the upcoming Republican National Convention.
“Rather than mingle with Party insiders in Tampa, I will be in the 8th district to continue to serve as an independent voice for for the people,” the freshman congressman said in a statement Thursday, CNN reports.
In his Thursday statement, Walsh invited Tammy Duckworth, his Democratic challenger in Illinois’ 8th congressional district, to skip her party’s convention in Charlotte. A Duckworth spokesman confirmed her attendance at the convention, where she will serve as vice chair of the Rules Committee, to the Chicago Sun-Times.
A number of other Republican figures will be skipping the GOP convention this year.