- Probe exposes flaws behind Healthcare.gov rollout
- Powell maybe not told early about CIA techniques
- Sunshine Law violation charges dropped against Chris Dorworth’s girlfriend, Rebekah Hammond
- Ethics panel tosses complaints against Rick Scott, Charlie Crist
- U.S. Rep. Patrick Murphy introduces legislation to restore Indian River Lagoon
- Reggie Fullwood sues state over disqualification in HD 113 race
In interview, Rachel Burgin says she's comfortable with personal attack on Tom Lee
This week, female voters in Sate Senate District 24 were sent a direct mailpiece critical of candidate Tom Lee for a 2003 divorce. The mailer also likened him to Hillsborough Property Appraiser Rob Turner, embroiled in a controversy for sending porn to an employee.
It’s been well-documented by now that the mailer is the responsibility of allies of Lee’s opponent, Rep. Rachel Burgin. One might think Burgin would disavow any connection to such a disgusting personal attack — one so vicious it brought a reprimand from the Florida GOP’s chairman, Lenny Curry.
But in an interview on Bay News 9′s Political Connections airing this morning, Burgin says she’s comfortable with the mailer, even though she did not produce it, reports Adam Smith of the Tampa Bay Times.
“I believe that character does matter. And people want someone that they know is a person of character,” Burgin said. “Some of his life choices I do not agree with.”
Perhaps not coincidentally, Smith named Burgin his Loser of the Week in Florida politics.
I’m afraid I have to agree with Smith, but for a different reason. A divorce nearly ten years ago says a lot less about someone than not being completely honest today about dirty tricks in a campaign.