- College Football Playoff era begins
- Bill Clinton to campaign for Charlie Crist in Miami on Friday
- Will Brent Sembler thwart John Thrasher’s FSU ambitions?
- Gov. Scott promises new tax cuts for 2nd term
- About those Nan Rich voters…
- Florida PBA stands with Gwen Graham in Florida’s Second Congressional District
Miami Herald endorses Ron Saunders in competitive Democrat primary for Senate District 39
Voters have two strong choices. Mr. (Dwight) Bullard, a school teacher, has been a passionate advocate of revamping the FCAT. But Mr. (Ron) Saunders’ years of experience in Tallahassee, both now and back in the 1980s and early ’90s when Democrats were the majority in the House, give him the edge.
Mr. Saunders, who returned to the House in 2006, would be well-suited for the more collegial Senate. As a former chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, he knows how to balance the budget and find money for key economic development projects that need state investments. He’s proven to be a successful leader on protecting the Everglades, fighting for more money for cash-strapped classrooms and crucial wastewater projects that protect the bay and other waterways.