- Did last year’s government shut down lead to a baby boom in D.C.?
- After just a single public comment, Pinellas School Board approves initial $1.2B budget
- Insurers: 2015 exchange rates likely to spike
- Today on Context Florida: Florida disaster, tax holidays, getting high and El Paso
- State employees union, AFSCME, donates $1million to Charlie Crist’s political committee
- Processing issue delays bar exam submissions
Stat of the Day: By September, 1 million Floridians will have 'concealed carry' permits
Sometime in September Florida will have more than a million active conceal carry permit holders. Right now there are 950-thousand Floridians with a license to carry a weapon and the applications are flooding in. The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services processes those applications. Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam says permit holders rarely cause problems.
“There continues to be an extraordinarily small number of concealed weapons license holders who break the law,” said Putnam.
The state licensing fee for a weapons permit has fallen this year and Putnam has made changes to speed up the licensing process.