- GE plant to bring 250 jobs to Clearwater and $50 million in capital investment
- Daniel Diaz Leyva hits $200,000 raised mark in House District 112 race
- Ted Yoho is “biggest threat to GOP” in midterms, columnist says
- Times editorial: Rick Scott must stop misleading voters about rail
- First bills filed for 2015 legislative session
- Arthenia Joyner endorses Sean Shaw in HD 61
Watch this funny new attack ad: Kelli Stargel, the liberal creature from Tallahassee
Here’s a relatively creative political ad attacking State Senate candidate Kelli Stargel.
Democratic blogger Ben Kirby, a member of our Political Ad Watch club, is confused:
I keep looking it up on Dictionary.com, but for the life of me I can’t find the second, presumably obscene, meaning of the word “liberal”.Sure, the old black-and-white movie thing is vaguely clever. I did chuckle a bit watching it, I guess. But the grainy footage of old movies and the cuts between scenes obscure the references to Rep. Stargel’s record. I see they included references to her record from various sources, but I’m not sure why they bothered. You can barely see any of it.Two, I’m not sure how you call the Association of Builders and Contractors Friend of Free Enterprise Award winner in 2009 and 2010, the Florida Chamber of Commerce “A” Honor Roll recipient in 2009 and 2010, the Florida Right to Life Legislator of the Year in 2010, the Christian Coalition of Florida Faith and Family Award recipient in 2009, the Florida Family Policy Council Defender of Marriage Award recipient in 2009 and the former President of the Republican Women’s Club of Lakeland a “liberal”, but here we are.In my mind, there’s kind of a silly factor tipping point, and this ad may have reached it. The cornball old-school movie theme mixed with the patently ludicrous idea that Kelli Stargel is a “liberal” is just too much to stomach.