- Who are the ’30 under 30′ rising stars of Florida politics?
- Meet Lindsey Perkins — one of the 30 under 30 rising stars of Florida politics
- Hillary Clinton lends star power to Charlie Crist funder Oct. 2
- Al Higginbotham grows campaign cash lead over Hillsborough County Commission opponent, Pat Kemp
- Meet Lauren Book — one of the 30 under 30 rising stars in Florida politics
- Patrick Murphy launches new ad focusing on local job growth
- Meet Erin Daly Ballas — one of the 30 under 30 rising stars in Florida politics
Sens. John McCain, Kelly Ayotte and Lindsey Graham to host town hall next Monday in Tampa on military cuts
U.S. Senators John McCain (R-AZ), Lindsey Graham (R-SC) and Kelly Ayotte (R-NH) announced the launch of their “Preserving America’s Strength” series of town hall-style meetings in Florida, North Carolina, Virginia and New Hampshire highlighting the devastating impacts of the looming defense cuts now scheduled to take place under budget sequestration next year.
The three senators, all members of the U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee, will discuss how the cuts will weaken American national security, put one million jobs at risk, and break faith with the men and women of our Armed Forces and their families. The Department of Defense has already agreed to reduce defense spending by nearly $500 billion over ten years. The additional military spending cuts called for under sequestration would add another $500 billion on top of that figure.
“President Obama’s own Secretary of Defense called the looming defense cuts under budget sequestration ‘devastating,’ likening them to ‘shooting ourselves in the head,’ and yet to date, Congress and the Obama Administration have done nothing to stop them from going into effect,” said Senators McCain, Graham and Ayotte. “We look forward to visiting communities in Florida, North Carolina, Virginia and New Hampshire to sound the alarm about the profound negative consequences of these cuts to our national security and economy. These communities – which provide our troops the equipment and support they need to defend our country – will bear the brunt of the defense sequestration cuts. Their voices must be heard in Washington.”