- Obama promoting economic gains as elections near
- Scott and Crist bash each other at campaign events
- Take a cue, Sea World: ‘Dolphin Tale’ aquarium plans to drop animal shows
- Ex-Republican Charlie Crist is Florida Democrats big hope
- Poll: For 56% of Americans, Labor Day means Summer’s over
- Marco Rubio changes tune on immigration; is it enough for conservatives?
In SD 39 race, Ron Saunders raises over $40K during last two weeks; has raised over $100K to date
House Minority Leader Ron Saunders, a Key West Democrat who is seeking the Senate District 39 seat, raised $40,770 during the F2 fundraising period. Saunders has now raised $102,240 since entering the race in April.
With Sen. Larcenia Bullard, heading to the sidelines due to term limits, a crowded field of Democrats — including three representatives who served together in the Florida House — are battling it out in the Aug. 14 primary.
SD 39 stretches across Collier, Hendry, Miami-Dade and Monroe counties.
Whoever emerges with the Democratic nomination will be a heavy favorite to win the seat. Businessman Scott Hopes has the Republican nomination sewn up and will face whichever Democrat triumphs in the primary. Since entering the race in early June, Hopes has raised $2,200 and spent almost $1,800.
Saunders has won the endorsements of the leadership of the Florida business community. The Florida Chamber of Commerce and the Associated Industries of Florida are backing Saunders as he looks to move to the House from the Senate.
Material from Sunshine State News was used in this report.