- Previewing the Top 20 Florida House races to watch in 2014: House District 36
- Previewing the Top 20 Florida House races to watch in 2014: HD 29, HD 30, HD 47 & HD 49
- Previewing the Top 20 Florida House races to watch in 2014: HD 21, HD 25, HD 27
- New poll: Governor’s race tied, Amendment 2 passing
- University of Florida reports record donations
- Florida Association of Professional Lobbyists to gather for annual summit
Personnel note: Public Schools Chancellor Pam Stewart named interim Commissioner of Education
Public Schools Chancellor Pam Stewart will take over as interim education commissioner while the State Board of Education looks for a permanent leader for the department, reports the News Service of Florida.
Board members agreed to tap Stewart for the position during a Thursday morning conference call. On Tuesday, Commissioner Gerard Robinson announced his resignation, effective Aug. 31, saying he wanted to spend more time with his family. Robinson had also come under fire in recent months for his agency’s handling of the rollout of some FCAT scores and school grades. Board Chairwoman Kathleen Shanahan said Stewart is only interested in being interim commissioner. “Right now, she is not interested in the job on a permanent basis. … That is her position today,” Shanahan said.