- Who are the ’30 under 30′ rising stars of Florida politics?
- Sen. John Thrasher makes the cut; will be interviewed Tuesday for FSU president’s job
- St. Pete embraces the International Day of Peace
- Study shows Florida voters rejecting federal internet sales tax push
- FSU survives Clemson; can its reputation survive ‘Jameis being Jameis’?
- U.S. Rep. David Jolly calls on more days in session for Congress
- Meet Kevin Cleary — one of the 30 under 30 rising stars in Florida politics
Tampa Bay area employment improvement among best in nation
The Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater metro area saw its unemployment rate drop from 11.2 percent to 9 percent in the year that ended in June, tied for second among all American communities in the biggest drop in unemployment for the year, reports the News Service of Florida. The Bureau of Labor Statistics this week reported new unemployment declines among metro areas with more than 1 million people. The Tampa Bay area was tied with the Detroit area for the second best improvement in the nation, and behind only the Las Vegas area in the drop in unemployment during the 12-month period. Las Vegas saw unemployment drop 2.3 percentage points to 12.1 percent. The news comes as both Gov. Rick Scott and backers of President Obama tout the improving economy in Florida.