- Sunburn for 7/29 – A morning read of what’s hot in Florida politics
- Net worth of Florida legislators is on the rise, new reporting shows
- Florida Forest Service sends firefighters to help battle western blazes
- Judge upholds blind trust used by Rick Scott
- Florida State law professor Daniel Markel was killed in his car
- Democratic House candidate Shawna Vercher’s financial disclosures raise more questions than answers
Democratic leader Nan Rich wades into SD 27 race, endorses Jeff Clemens over Mack Bernard
Senate Democratic Leader Nan Rich released the following statement in response to Alex Sink’s statement supporting Mack Bernard in the District 27 race for Florida Senate.
“After Alex Sink lost to Rick Scott in 2010, it fell to strong Democrats in the legislature to lead the fight against his right-wing agenda.
As the Democratic Leader in the Florida Senate, I have had the opportunity to work with Jeff Clemens and Mack Bernard. They are both good and decent men. However, when it comes to standing up to Rick Scott’s extreme agenda on public education, Jeff Clemens stands alone.
Mack Bernard consistently voted for Rick Scott’s voucher scheme to send millions of public school money to private schools. But Jeff Clemens stood firm with me and other strong Democrats to protect the future of our children and public schools across Florida.
That’s why Jeff Clemens has earned the endorsement and strong support of Florida’s teachers. And why I believe Jeff Clemens is the best choice for the Florida Senate.”
In response to Alex Sink’s defense of Mack Bernard, Representative Jeff Clemens said the following:
“Alex Sink may not be aware of Mack Bernard’s voting record on Rick Scott’s agenda or of the Republican interest bankrolling his campaign,” said Representative Clemens. “One of the reasons I supported her for Governor is because she was against Rick Scott and Mack Bernard’s plan to give millions of dollars of our public school money to elite private schools. ”