- Previewing the Top 20 Florida House races to watch in 2014: House District 36
- Previewing the Top 20 Florida House races to watch in 2014: HD 29, HD 30, HD 47 & HD 49
- Previewing the Top 20 Florida House races to watch in 2014: HD 21, HD 25, HD 27
- New poll: Governor’s race tied, Amendment 2 passing
- University of Florida reports record donations
- Florida Association of Professional Lobbyists to gather for annual summit
Ross Spano wins close race over Joe Wicker for House District 59
Spano said he was elated.
“It’s hard to explain. It’s pretty incredible,” he said. “We just had a great grassroots kind of swell of support. Having been born and raised here, having a business here, being in church here, people just rallied around me.”
Spano faces Democrat Gail Gottlieb in the general election.
Joe Wicker, a 34-year-old Iraq war veteran and small businessman, ran a close second.
Betty Jo Tompkins, a 65-year-old business woman from Brandon, and Michael Arden Floyd, a 68-year-old retired law officer, ran a distant third and fourth, respectively, in the race to represent a district that encompasses virtually all of the Brandon area — including Valrico, Dover, Seffner, Riverview, Palm River and Clair-Mel City.