- Sunburn for 7/29 – A morning read of what’s hot in Florida politics
- Net worth of Florida legislators is on the rise, new reporting shows
- Florida Forest Service sends firefighters to help battle western blazes
- Judge upholds blind trust used by Rick Scott
- Florida State law professor Daniel Markel was killed in his car
- Democratic House candidate Shawna Vercher’s financial disclosures raise more questions than answers
Mark Danish defeats Z.J. Hafeez in Democratic primary for House District 63
In the Democratic primary for state House District 63, veteran teacher Mark Danish defeated attorney Z.J. Hafeez, setting up a battle in the fall with Republican Shawn Harrison in the new Democratic-leaning district.
“I am honored to be the Democratic nominee for state House District 63,” Danish said. “We were outspent drastically in this election. It is seldom that hard work and people power defeats big money.”
Danish, a seventh-grade science teacher at Benito Middle School, promised to take the excitement from the primary win into the general election.
The new district encompasses Lutz, New Tampa and parts of Carrollwood, Northdale, North Tampa, Thonotosassa and the University Area.