- It’s official: Jay Fant beats Paul Renner in HD 15 by two votes
- John Morgan goes “unplugged” with NSFW rant at post-debate rally for medical marijuana
- With some Tampa Bay’ers breaking ranks, Eric Eisnaugle has all but locked up Speaker’s race
- George Sheldon accepts Pam Bondi debate challenge, then raises her
- Legislative committee schedule released
- St. Pete Chamber of Commerce announces “Good ‘Burgers” — and it has nothing to do with food
Cary Pigman, Randy Johnson headed to recount in House District 55
In one of the tightest Republican races involving the Treasure Coast, Cary Pigman, of Avon Park, bested rival Randy Johnson of Sebring, by less than 30 votes as the two squared off for the state House District 55 seat that includes a portion of southern St. Lucie County, all of Okeechobee and Glades and part of Highlands County.
St. Lucie County supervisor of elections Gertrude Walker said because the candidates were separated by less than one-half of one percent, state elections officials will seek an automatic recount. St. Lucie County will conduct the recount Saturday, Walker said.
Pigman, 53, is an emergency medicine doctor who also served in Iraq as a lieutenant colonel. Johnson, 52, is a veteran Navy pilot who served in the state House for four terms.
Following a recount, the winner will face Moore Haven Democrat Crystal Drake in the Nov. 6 general election.