- Wine collector set for sentencing on fraud charges
- Charlie Crist: “I’m not a scientist either but I can use my brain and I can talk to one”
- Tampa Trib offers key endorsement of Sean Shaw in HD 61 race
- DOH’s Office of Compassionate Use says draft rules on Charlotte’s Web delayed
- John Legg endorses Chris Gregg in House District 36
- Charlie Crist committee transfers another $600K to Florida Democratic Party
Cary Pigman, Randy Johnson headed to recount in House District 55
In one of the tightest Republican races involving the Treasure Coast, Cary Pigman, of Avon Park, bested rival Randy Johnson of Sebring, by less than 30 votes as the two squared off for the state House District 55 seat that includes a portion of southern St. Lucie County, all of Okeechobee and Glades and part of Highlands County.
St. Lucie County supervisor of elections Gertrude Walker said because the candidates were separated by less than one-half of one percent, state elections officials will seek an automatic recount. St. Lucie County will conduct the recount Saturday, Walker said.
Pigman, 53, is an emergency medicine doctor who also served in Iraq as a lieutenant colonel. Johnson, 52, is a veteran Navy pilot who served in the state House for four terms.
Following a recount, the winner will face Moore Haven Democrat Crystal Drake in the Nov. 6 general election.