- 2016 could bring a chance for revenge for Charlie Crist
- Uber adds XL cars to fleet
- NextGen Climate launches “Rick Scott’s Ark” for wealthy climate deniers
- Today’s pay cut announcement reminds us that the Tampa Bay Times is the Boston Celtics of regional newspapers
- Walt McNeil to Rick Scott: if you believe Charlie Crist swindled people then investigate
- Florida lawmakers urge action on Everglades: ‘Get it done’
Epic read: The Wire’s David Simon takes down Mitt Romney’s lame talk about paying 13% in taxes
The Wire creator David Simon marvels at Romney’s nerve in “declaiming proudly” that he paid at least 13% taxes every year:
Thirteen percent. The last time I paid taxes at that rate, I believe I might still have been in college…. I can’t get over the absurdity of this moment, honestly: Hey, I never paid less than thirteen percent. I swear. And no, you can’t examine my tax returns in any more detail. But I promise you all, my fellow American citizens, I never once slipped to single digits. I’m just not that kind of guy.
Rod Dreher piles on:
What Simon is getting at is Romney is an extremely rich man who pays significantly less of a percentage of his income in taxes than millions of people who make far less than he does, and he still seems to think he deserves a cookie. I’m sick and tired of him and his wife whining about how people are so mean to them about their taxes.
H/t to Andrew Sullivan.