- Martin O’Malley joins Charlie Crist on the stump Sunday in Davie
- It’s official, red light cameras in St. Pete are coming down
- Email Insights: Bill Nelson sends his first pro-Charlie Crist email
- Email Insights: Charlie Crist’s plan is “rock-solid,” says Martin O’Malley
- Obama, Clinton urge women to back Democrats
- While other 2016ers are building campaigns, Jeb Bush is building his business empire
This weekend, it takes The Villages for Paul Ryan
The VP candidate recently reference his 78-year-old mother—a part-time resident of Florida’s Lauderdale-by-the Sea—as one reason why he would not propose eliminating the entitlement program.
Ryan’s proposal to overhaul Medicare, a part of his budget blueprint, has been a prime target for Democrats.
Ryan is scheduled to speak at The Villages, the sprawling retirement community northwest of Orlando, at 10 a.m. on Saturday. He’ll also will make a fundraising stop at the exclusive, members-only Club at Treasure Island.
Some more info on Ryan’s appearance:
- Country music artist Lee Greenwood of “God Bless the U.S.A” fame will also make an appearance at the rally.
- Residents are encouraged to arrive at the Ryan event in their golf carts, according to the Villages Daily Sun.
- There are more people receiving Social Security benefits in ZIP Code 32162 — The Villages retirement community area code—than any other place in the U.S., Wall Street Journal reports.
- The Villages, which straddles Lake, Sumter and Marion counties, is a GOP stronghold. ABC News reports the Villages of Lake Sumter, Inc., the Florida retirement community that includes property development, golf and other recreational activities, donated $250,000 to the pro-Romney Super PAC, Restore Our Future last June.
- In 2008, then-vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin attracted more than 25,000 supporters during a visit to the retirement community.
Via Nora McAlvanah of FLDemocracy2012.com