- 2016 could bring a chance for revenge for Charlie Crist
- Uber adds XL cars to fleet
- NextGen Climate launches “Rick Scott’s Ark” for wealthy climate deniers
- Today’s pay cut announcement reminds us that the Tampa Bay Times is the Boston Celtics of regional newspapers
- Walt McNeil to Rick Scott: if you believe Charlie Crist swindled people then investigate
- Florida lawmakers urge action on Everglades: ‘Get it done’
GOP mulling truncated convention; could limit events to roll call and speech
Officials conceded on the record for the first time Monday that plans for an already shortened three-day convention were in doubt. “We’re hoping we go forward with Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday,” said James Davis, communications director for the convention. “We are agile and we can move things around but we’re planning for” a three-day convention.
A senior GOP official said no decision had been made and none was likely Monday, but said the convention conceivably could be as short as a single day.
One of the worst-case scenarios would be Romney delivering a brief speech declaring the emergency is bigger than politics, shuttering the convention and turning the public’s attention to the Gulf Coast.
“That might not be the worst-case scenario” politically for Romney if he’s seen as putting people ahead of politics, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss convention options.