- Sunshine Law violation charges dropped against Chris Dorworth’s girlfriend, Rebekah Hammond
- Ethics panel tosses complaints against Rick Scott, Charlie Crist
- U.S. Rep. Patrick Murphy introduces legislation to restore Indian River Lagoon
- Reggie Fullwood sues state over disqualification in HD 113 race
- Florida Restaurant Association endorses Rick Scott and Carlos Lopez-Cantera
- Email Insights: Three endorsements help Richard DeNapoli “fight the smears”
DCCC launching Akin-themed robocalls against US Reps. Vern Buchanan, Bill Young
The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee is seizing on a plank in the Republican platform that calls for a Constitutional amendment banning abortions, without including exemptions for rape, incest or life of the mother with new automated phone calls attacking 20 incumbents (17 of whom are men).
Among those targeted: Sarasota’s Vern Buchanan and Pinellas’ Bill Young.
Here is a sample script:
“Hello…By now, I’m sure you’ve heard Congressman Todd Akin’s unbelievable comments about rape and his outrageous beliefs about women’s rights. You know what’s even more worrisome? He’s not alone. Republicans like your Congressman Bill Young share some of these radical, right-wing beliefs- that the government should take away a woman’s access to making informed decisions about her own pregnancy. It’s outrageous. This week, Congressman Coffman’s Republican Party platform will include a plank that says no to a woman’s right to choose without any exceptions even in cases of rape, incest or when the mother’s life is at risk. If you’re tired of this right-wing social agenda from Congressman Todd Akin and Congressman Young then call him now…”