- Sunburn for 7/25 – A morning read of what’s hot in Florida politics
- Gaza in Miami?
- Gray|Robinson launches new practice group that includes focus on medical marijuana
- Gov. Scott and the bike trail: What a difference an election year makes
- GE plant to bring 250 jobs to Clearwater and $50 million in capital investment
- Daniel Diaz Leyva hits $200,000 raised mark in House District 112 race
Keith Fitzgerald setting up oppo-site against Vern Buchanan
Trailing by 22 points in the polls, Democrat Keith Fitzgerald is preparing an attack website against his Republican opponent Rep. Vern Buchanan.
“Fitzgerald’s decision to make character assassination the central theme of his campaign is sad, disappointing and symbolic of everything that’s wrong with politics today,” said Buchanan spokeswoman Sally Tibbetts. “These types of sleazy attacks insult the intelligence of Florida voters and are why people hate Washington.”
Of course, Fitzgerald, a political science professor at New College, once denounced negative campaigning when it was used against him in earlier campaigns.
“Anybody can run a sleazy, negative campaign, what takes more guts is NOT to,” he said in 2008 as he ran for re-election to the Legislature. Fitzgerald even took to the airwaves accusing his opponent of “dishonest” and “negative” attacks at a time when the country needed “leadership.”