- U.S. House OKs bill to address border crisis; Obama condemns it
- In light of redistricting ruling, Senate President urges members not to throw out any relevant docs, files
- Growers and lobbyists not high on second draft of pot rules
- Write-in candidate files emergency motion in HD 64 decision
- Rick Scott campaign pulls in another $397K
- Batman creator’s personal copies to be auctioned
Keith Fitzgerald setting up oppo-site against Vern Buchanan
Trailing by 22 points in the polls, Democrat Keith Fitzgerald is preparing an attack website against his Republican opponent Rep. Vern Buchanan.
“Fitzgerald’s decision to make character assassination the central theme of his campaign is sad, disappointing and symbolic of everything that’s wrong with politics today,” said Buchanan spokeswoman Sally Tibbetts. “These types of sleazy attacks insult the intelligence of Florida voters and are why people hate Washington.”
Of course, Fitzgerald, a political science professor at New College, once denounced negative campaigning when it was used against him in earlier campaigns.
“Anybody can run a sleazy, negative campaign, what takes more guts is NOT to,” he said in 2008 as he ran for re-election to the Legislature. Fitzgerald even took to the airwaves accusing his opponent of “dishonest” and “negative” attacks at a time when the country needed “leadership.”