- Previewing the Top 20 Florida House races to watch in 2014: House District 36
- Previewing the Top 20 Florida House races to watch in 2014: HD 29, HD 30, HD 47 & HD 49
- Previewing the Top 20 Florida House races to watch in 2014: HD 21, HD 25, HD 27
- New poll: Governor’s race tied, Amendment 2 passing
- University of Florida reports record donations
- Florida Association of Professional Lobbyists to gather for annual summit
In HD 27, Democratic opponent of David Santiago drops out
Little more than two months before the November election, Deltona Democrat Dennis Mulder has dropped out the race for an open seat in House District 27. Mulder posted a Facebook message that said he made the “reluctant” decision because of medical issues involving his son. “I can no longer in good conscience be absent from his life at such an important time, neither
can I ask Heather (Mulder’s wife) to saddle these added stresses alone,” the post said. Mulder was slated to run against Deltona Republican David Santiago in November in the newly redrawn Volusia County district. Rep. Dorothy Hukill, a Port Orange Republican who is running for the Senate, has represented much of the area during the past eight years.
Volusia County Democratic Chairman Phil Giorno told the Orlando Sentinel that it appears the local party executive committee will name a replacement for Mulder, though details were still being sorted out.