- Once-troubled reverse mortgages poised for rebound
- Today on Context Florida: Entrepreneurs, political priorities, veggies and Pensacola after Ivan
- Florida’s ‘Gray Belt’ a glimpse at nation’s future
- Sunburn for 9/16 – A morning read of what’s hot in Florida politics
- New study shows minorities disproportionately affected by long wait times on Election Day in Florida
- No DC gridlock for gay marriage, legal marijuana
Republican Halsey Beshears widens fundraising lead in HD 7
With a boost from the state GOP, Monticello Republican Halsey Beshears has built a large fund-raising lead over Democrat Robert Hill in the House District 7 race, new records via the News Service of Florida show.
Beshears received $73,400 in contributions between Aug. 10 and Sept. 14, with the Republican Party of Florida chipping in $44,000 of that amount. In all, Beshears has raised a total of $248,564, though much of that was spent before he won the August primary election. Hill, a Bristol Democrat, raised $11,150 during the latest reporting period and has collected a total of $54,825 for his primary and general-election campaigns.
The newly redrawn District 7, which includes a huge swath of rural north Florida, is effectively an open seat because Greenville Democrat Leonard Bembry decided to run for Congress this year.