- Marco Rubio special guest at Iowa Republicans picnic
- Gov. Scott questions Citizens travel costs
- Driving high questioned on busy day in Congress
- Charlie Crist releases new ad “Up Here,” attacking Rick Scott for focusing on those darn special interests
- Southest Airlines ends partnership with SeaWorld
- Parents of children with special needs defend scholarships against teachers union lawsuit
Republican Halsey Beshears widens fundraising lead in HD 7
With a boost from the state GOP, Monticello Republican Halsey Beshears has built a large fund-raising lead over Democrat Robert Hill in the House District 7 race, new records via the News Service of Florida show.
Beshears received $73,400 in contributions between Aug. 10 and Sept. 14, with the Republican Party of Florida chipping in $44,000 of that amount. In all, Beshears has raised a total of $248,564, though much of that was spent before he won the August primary election. Hill, a Bristol Democrat, raised $11,150 during the latest reporting period and has collected a total of $54,825 for his primary and general-election campaigns.
The newly redrawn District 7, which includes a huge swath of rural north Florida, is effectively an open seat because Greenville Democrat Leonard Bembry decided to run for Congress this year.