- Study: 10M have gained coverage through health law
- PSTA posts record ridership for June
- Slaying of FSU law professor is a seeming mystery
- Lisa Montelione seeks re-election to Tampa City Council
- Today on Context Florida: Sandra Day O’Connor, acid fracking, David Waggonner and government & business
- Tampa man accused of scamming Apple out of $309,768
Enthusiastic crowd greets Bill Nelson and Jimmy Buffett
The Florida Democrat was speaking to a politically-mixed crowd gathered at the kick-off of Nelson’s “Florida First” statewide tour, which will visit more than 20 cities, towns and communities in the next few weeks before Election Day.
Nelson was joined Friday evening by legendary Florida singer Jimmy Buffett who entertained an intimate gathering with a solo acoustic performance that featured a few of his hit songs. Buffett endorsed Nelson for his longtime record of protecting Florida’s environment.
At the kick-off, Nelson stressed the importance of representing all Floridians.
“I think the people of Florida know that throughout my career I’ve put Florida first,” he said in his draft remarks. “I haven’t emphasized the Democrat or the Republican way. But, I’ve tried to do what’s right for Florida.”
“What this election really boils down to is who’s going to do what’s best for Florida.”
The state-wide “Florida First” tour will include Sen. Nelson’s debate on Wednesday, October 17th in Davie after which Nelson will continue his planned stops across the Sunshine State from the Panhandle to South Florida, leading up to Election Day.