- Florida Supreme Court holds testy hearing on secret evidence
- Florida Democrats pounce as 6,000 Florida jobs disappear
- Charlie Crist releases “4,000 lies,” counters Rick Scott’s swindle claims
- Pat Bainter fires back over privacy, integrity and “criminalized political speech”
- It’s beginning to look a lot like Election Day … Pinellas County mails 2,700 overseas absentee ballots
- Crisis at the Tampa Bay Times: Would Paul Tash pass a PolitiFact check?
Senate prez Don Gaetz adds gaming, Obamacare committees, streamlines education committees
Further, Gaetz, announced the creation of a select committee to deal exclusively with issues surrounding the Affordable Care Act, the federally mandated health insurance plan that the Republican-led Legislature had hoped would be repealed. With those hopes apparently dashed by the re-election of President Barack Obama, the panel will address issues involving the implementation of what has been commonly referred to as ObamaCare.
The new Senate committee plan also consolidates education into a single standing committee instead of separating higher education from Pre-K- 12. Likewise, education appropriations will also be consolidated, a move that mirrors a decision in the House. The Gaming Committee’s creation underscores the interest in addressing the destination and resort gambling issue that was shelved during the last legislative session.
Lawmakers will be asked to approve the committee structure along with revised Senate rules during the organizational session on Tuesday.
Via The News Service of Florida.