- College Football Playoff era begins
- Bill Clinton to campaign for Charlie Crist in Miami on Friday
- Will Brent Sembler thwart John Thrasher’s FSU ambitions?
- Gov. Scott promises new tax cuts for 2nd term
- About those Nan Rich voters…
- Florida PBA stands with Gwen Graham in Florida’s Second Congressional District
Dr. David McKalip files to run for St. Pete City Council
Tea Party activist Dr. David McKalip filed today to run for the District 4 seat on the Saint Petersburg City Council, according to the City Clerk’s office. McKalip, a frequent critic of almost every aspect of federal and local government, is a neurosurgeon who was forced to resign in 2009 as president-elect of the Pinellas County Medical Association after he forward an email image portraying President Barack Obama as a witch doctor in a loin cloth and headdress with bones in his nose.
Since that time McKalip has taken on a gadfly role before City Council, using the public comments section of the agenda to critique any number of city efforts and projects, including plans for a new Pier.
McKalip becomes the first candidate to file for the 2013 municipal elections, although he is not expected to be the last. Prominent civic activist Darden Rice is set to launch her own bid for the District 4 seat, which is currently held by Leslie Curran, who is term-limited from running again.