- Tampa Bay’s Campaign Weekender for July 25-28
- Breaking: Associated Industries of Florida says it really likes Rick Scott!
- After railing against super PACs, Obama embraces secretive elements of unlimited political fundraising
- Obama aides says impeachment threat taken seriously
- U.S. Rep. David Jolly making it clear he is not endorsing Peter Nehr in county commission race
- 100 days before election, Charlie Crist to hold “Weekend of Action”
Dr. David McKalip files to run for St. Pete City Council
Tea Party activist Dr. David McKalip filed today to run for the District 4 seat on the Saint Petersburg City Council, according to the City Clerk’s office. McKalip, a frequent critic of almost every aspect of federal and local government, is a neurosurgeon who was forced to resign in 2009 as president-elect of the Pinellas County Medical Association after he forward an email image portraying President Barack Obama as a witch doctor in a loin cloth and headdress with bones in his nose.
Since that time McKalip has taken on a gadfly role before City Council, using the public comments section of the agenda to critique any number of city efforts and projects, including plans for a new Pier.
McKalip becomes the first candidate to file for the 2013 municipal elections, although he is not expected to be the last. Prominent civic activist Darden Rice is set to launch her own bid for the District 4 seat, which is currently held by Leslie Curran, who is term-limited from running again.