- Today on Context Florida: Rick Scott bangin’ beat, Terry Lewis’ ruling & appeal and medical marijuana
- Colleen Burton to file complaint against “illegal” campaign TV ad in HD 40
- Despite messy selection process, St. Pete City Council, residents cautiously optimistic by police chief pick
- The live tweet v. the fact check: there’s a study for that
- Video raises doubts about Tampa boy’s death
- Florida’s biggest health insurer signals rate hikes ahead
Bill Nelson: Rubio gives ‘cover’ to GOP on immigration
Senator Bill Nelson said Wednesday that Senator Marco Rubio is giving “a lot of cover” on immigration to Republicans who “otherwise would choke on this.”
“I think he is going to give a lot of cover to the Republicans who otherwise would choke on this,” Nelson said on CNN’s “Starting Point.”
CNN anchor Soledad O’Brien asked Nelson about Rubio’s statement that he’d support only legislation that included stricter border security, pointing to a potential sticking point between Democrats and Republicans.
“Give him a break, he’s got to cover,” Nelson responded. “Just wait until they get to the details, they’ll hammer it out. Remember, he had to go on Rush Limbaugh and start convincing Rush Limbaugh, who as recently as last Monday said, ‘No way, Jose.’ And as a result, Marco was successful.”
More from POLITICO here.