- John Morgan goes “unplugged” with NSFW rant at post-debate rally for medical marijuana
- With some Tampa Bay’ers breaking ranks, Eric Eisnaugle has all but locked up Speaker’s race
- George Sheldon accepts Pam Bondi debate challenge, then raises her
- Legislative committee schedule released
- St. Pete Chamber of Commerce announces “Good ‘Burgers” — and it has nothing to do with food
- Palace intrigue: Lame Duck Adam Hollingsworth desperately seeking an exit strategy
Don Gaetz, Andy Gardiner and other Republican senators raising money at Gasparilla “Knight Parade”
Beads, pirates and a group of GOP state senators will be on display this Saturday when Senate President Don Gaetz, Senate President Designate Andy Gardiner and several other Republican lawmakers take part in a Gasparilla-themed political fundraiser in Ybor City.
In addition to Sens. Gaetz and Gardiner, Senators Jack Latvala, Thad Altman, Jeff Brandes, Nancy Detert, Bill Galvano and Wilton Simpson are also listed on the fundraising invitation. Majority 2014 — the Republican Party of Florida’s campaign arm for state senate races — is the beneficiary.
The event, to be held at a private location along the parade route, is scheduled to begin at 7:00 p.m in conjunction with the Sant’ Yago Knight Parade. The parade features illuminated floats and takes place annually one Saturday evening in February and runs into the early morning hours. The event was founded in 1972 by The Krewe of the Knights of Sant’Yago which has hosted the event each year since.
The Sant’ Yago Knight Parade typically takes place a week or two after the main Gasparilla Parade of Pirates and is considered the more “adult-oriented” of the two parades. This begs the question: how far will a state senator go for a check … or a special set of beads?