- The day that was in the CD 13 special electionPosted 15 mins ago
- Eckerd names former Maryland legislator new Chief Development OfficerPosted 13 hours ago
- As election approaches, David Jolly holds discussion on veterans’ issuesPosted 13 hours ago
- Incredible imagery of The Big DipperPosted 14 hours ago
- Curt Clawson receives endorsement from former Naples Mayor Bill BarnettPosted 16 hours ago
- Rand Paul does American Crossroads robocall in CD 13 to thwart libertarian candidate Lucas OverbyPosted 16 hours ago
Bombshell in CD 13: Alex Sink giving serious consideration to running for Bill Young’s seat; announcement forthcoming
Former Florida Chief Financial Officer and gubernatorial candidate Alex Sink is giving serious consideration to running for Bill Young’s congressional seat and is on the cusp of making an announcement about her intentions. An announcement could come as early as next week, says a longtime adviser to Sink.
Sink has spent the last 24 hours discussing the possibility of her running with her key fundraisers and political allies after being in contact with several national Democratic leaders and party officials. It’s still not clear whether the national Democrats reached out to Sink or vice versa. However, my source, who is involved with Sink’s decision-making process, said that she has been recruited to run. The only step left to take is for Sink to hear (back) from Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.
Obviously, Sink lives in Hillsborough and Young’s seat is based in Pinellas, but, if can ‘cross the bridge’ she does represent about as good a candidate as the Democrats can field.
“This district is a strong pickup opportunity for Democrats – and that’s why in the past 24 hours alone two top Republicans have already taken a pass at running,” Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee spokesman David Bergstein told Adam Smith. “A candidate – like Alex Sink – who has a strong record of solving problems would be extremely competitive in this district.”