- St. Pete Polls had it mostly right about CD 19, but PPP polls nailed Curt Clawson’s winPosted 33 mins ago
- St. Pete residents invited to comment on proposed FY15 budgetPosted 1 hour ago
- Wednesday’s legislative agenda: speed limits, e-cigarettes, marriage licenses and the “Pop Tart” billPosted 2 hours ago
- Another request for rehearing regarding Florida PIP insurance deniedPosted 2 hours ago
- Florida Supreme Court refuses to hear PIP law challengePosted 2 hours ago
- Sunburn for 4/23 – A morning read of what’s hot in Florida politicsPosted 2 hours ago
Bombshell in CD 13: Alex Sink giving serious consideration to running for Bill Young’s seat; announcement forthcoming
Former Florida Chief Financial Officer and gubernatorial candidate Alex Sink is giving serious consideration to running for Bill Young’s congressional seat and is on the cusp of making an announcement about her intentions. An announcement could come as early as next week, says a longtime adviser to Sink.
Sink has spent the last 24 hours discussing the possibility of her running with her key fundraisers and political allies after being in contact with several national Democratic leaders and party officials. It’s still not clear whether the national Democrats reached out to Sink or vice versa. However, my source, who is involved with Sink’s decision-making process, said that she has been recruited to run. The only step left to take is for Sink to hear (back) from Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.
Obviously, Sink lives in Hillsborough and Young’s seat is based in Pinellas, but, if can ‘cross the bridge’ she does represent about as good a candidate as the Democrats can field.
“This district is a strong pickup opportunity for Democrats – and that’s why in the past 24 hours alone two top Republicans have already taken a pass at running,” Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee spokesman David Bergstein told Adam Smith. “A candidate – like Alex Sink – who has a strong record of solving problems would be extremely competitive in this district.”