- Lizbeth Benacquisto calls raising decades-old issue “desperate”Posted 4 hours ago
- Election eve poll gives Alex Sink narrow 3-point lead in #CD13 racePosted 4 hours ago
- Perry Thurston nets nearly $100K for AG racePosted 4 hours ago
- What happened to the $500K contribution from Florida Crystals to “Let’s Get To Work”?Posted 5 hours ago
- Belleair’s Daniel Doyle Jr. appointed to the state university system’s board of governorsPosted 5 hours ago
- Whoa — Brad Drake raises more than $111K for return bid to Florida HousePosted 6 hours ago
Chris Sprowls receives key GOP endorsement from U.S. Rep. Gus Bilirakis
Chris Sprowls received another significant GOP endorsement today in his bid for Florida House District 65, this time from conservative U.S. Rep. Gus Bilirakis of Palm Harbor.
Sprowls is looking to unseat incumbent Democratic Rep. Carl “Z” Zimmermann in 2014 for the seat that covers north Pinellas County and the cities of Tarpon Springs, Dunedin, Palm Harbor and East Lake.
“No one will do more to assist Florida’s veterans, protect Florida’s seniors, and make our area proud in Tallahassee, than Chris Sprowls,” Bilirakis said in a statement. “Chris’ time as a prosecutor also demonstrates his commitment to defending seniors from abuse and violent crime, as well as going after pill mills that are destroying families right here in west Florida.
“From establishing free Veterans legal assistance programs in law school to pioneering Veterans courts locally,” Bilirakis added, “Chris has a special place in his heart for those suffering from PTSD and substance abuse. Chris is my friend and I can think of no one better to represent us in Tallahassee.”
“There is no one who works as selflessly as Gus Bilirakis,” Sprowls responded, “and his example of service is one I intend to emulate.”
Sprowls added that with the four-term GOP Congressman “veterans know they have no greater friend and defender. From seniors security to our national security, we are lucky to have him representing us.”
Sprowls is works as a prosecutor for Florida’s Sixth Judicial Circuit, most recently serving on the Gang Unit. His litigation experience includes dozens of cases such as drug trafficking, crimes against children, and murder.
A native of Tarpon Springs, Sprowls graduated from Stetson University College of Law and previously served as chair of the American Bar Association’s Law Student Division, representing 60,000 members.
Bilirakis joins growing conservative coalition backing Sprowls, including State Attorney General Pam Bondi, Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri, State Attorney Bernie McCabe and Republican Sens. Jack Latvala, Jeff Brandes and Mike Fasano.