- Latest poll of CD 19 special election: Clawson 38%, Benacquisto 19%, Dreikorn 18%, Kreegel 17%Posted 7 hours ago
- Risky business: Research could improve understanding of risky behavior, addictionPosted 7 hours ago
- Florida celebrates Earth Day with weeklong roster of environmental eventsPosted 8 hours ago
- Here is the Final Four of TallyMadness 2014Posted 18 hours ago
- Michelle Bachmann endorses Curt Clawson in CD 19 primaryPosted 21 hours ago
- Surge of eleventh-hour enrollments improves chances of success of President Obama’s health care programPosted 22 hours ago
Concerns grow about the health of Congressman Bill Young
The only member of Florida’s congressional delegation who missed last night’s historic vote ending the shutdown of the federal government was Pinellas County’s C.W. Bill Young. This missed vote coming so close after Congressman Young’s recent announcement that he would not seek re-election in 2014 is prompting widespread speculation about the status of Rep. Young’s health.
Currently, Young is at Walter Reed Hospital undergoing treatment for a debilitating back injury. However, dozens of reporters and political observers from Tampa Bay to Washington D.C., are privately speculating that Young may be suffering from more than a back injury. Those following the situation are attempting to glean any information about Young’s condition, despite Young’s family and closest advisers, including Harry Glenn and David Jolly, not speaking on the record about the status of Young’s health beyond Glenn’s comment that, “He is still there (Walter Reed) and continuing to receive treatment.” (Per Alex Leary of the Tampa Bay Times.)
Politics, like nature, abhors a vacuum. And the relative silence from Young’s circle is only serving to fuel the rampant speculation about Young’s status.
For my part, I am praying for Congressman Young’s health, regardless of its status. Please join me in praying that all he is suffering from is a back injury.