- Crist defends President Obama, blasts ScottPosted 15 mins ago
- Tea Party challengers struggle to continue successPosted 6 hours ago
- A round-up of Sunday editorials from Florida’s leading newspapersPosted 6 hours ago
- Daylight saving time is good for business?Posted 16 hours ago
- Don’t forget: Daylight saving time begins this SundayPosted 16 hours ago
- The day that was in the CD 13 special electionPosted 16 hours ago
Jim Greer promises upcoming trial will be ‘Shakespearean play where everyone dies in the end’
I try to keep posts about disgraced former Republican Party of Florida chairman Jim Greer to a minimum because, well, the guy is a scumbag (just fall on your sword already, buddy.) That said, Terence McCoy of the Miami New Times sat down with him “on the eve of quite possibly the most anticipated political corruption case in state history.”
The money quote from the interview has to be Greer’s promise of a bloodbath.
“It’s going to be a Shakespearean play where everyone dies in the end,” he predicts. “It won’t be good for anybody. People need to know what goes on behind the curtain in the Republican Party, and before the Republicans tried to destroy me, they should have thought about what the consequences were going to be.”
“These trials are always embarrassing,” says Susan MacManus, a political science professor at the University of South Florida. “The question is, how much of this is sour grapes?”
There’s little doubt, though, the already troubled party, which dominates the Legislature but has lost the past two presidential elections, will take a PR drubbing. “This trial will continue to show that nothing has come from Republicans and there’s no reason for them to keep power,” Greer says. “The people need to know what the Republican Party is. It’s dysfunctional.”
If you can stomach reading about Greer, continuing doing so here.