- A round-up of Sunday editorials from Florida’s leading newspapersPosted 2 hours ago
- Latest poll of CD 19 special election: Clawson 38%, Benacquisto 19%, Dreikorn 18%, Kreegel 17%Posted 22 hours ago
- Risky business: Research could improve understanding of risky behavior, addictionPosted 23 hours ago
- Florida celebrates Earth Day with weeklong roster of environmental eventsPosted 23 hours ago
- Here is the Final Four of TallyMadness 2014Posted 1 day ago
- Michelle Bachmann endorses Curt Clawson in CD 19 primaryPosted 2 days ago
Not an Onion headline: Satanists to rally for Rick Scott on Jan. 25
Satanists from all over Florida are scheduled to gather on the steps of the Governor’s Office on Friday, January 25, in a show of solidarity for Governor Rick Scott, who, satanists say, has shown unwavering fortitude and progressive resolve in his defense of religious liberty, particularly in his approval of Senate Bill 98 [SB 98] authorizing “a district school board to adopt a policy that allows an inspirational message to be delivered by students at a student assembly; providing policy requirements; providing purpose, etc.”
Neil Bricke of the Satanic Temple will deliver a speech to the assembled crowd.
“The Satanic Temple embraces the free expression of religion, and Satanists are happy to show their support of Rick Scott who — particularly with SB 98 — has reaffirmed our American freedom to practice our faith openly, allowing our Satanic children the freedom to pray in school.”
The Satanic Temple seeks to raise awareness of their compassion-based religion, which has traditionally been grossly misunderstood and maligned.
“[We believe] that God is supernatural and thus outside of the sphere of the physical. God’s perfection means that he cannot interact with the imperfect corporeal realm. Because God cannot intervene in the material world, He created Satan to preside over the universe as His proxy. Satan has the compassion and wisdom of an angel. Although Satan is subordinate to God, he is mankind’s only conduit to the dominion beyond the physical. In addition, only Satan can hear our prayers and only Satan can respond. While God is beyond human comprehension, Satan desires to be known and knowable. Only in this way can there be justice and can life have meaning,” The Satanic Temple’s website states.