- The week that was in Florida politics: Jobs report is no turkeyPosted 9 hours ago
- WSJ: Higher-Ups knew of IRS case: Hearing shows Obama administration officials were told in June 2012 of probe into Tea-Party targetingPosted 10 hours ago
- Pinellas jobless rate dips, beats state as a wholePosted 13 hours ago
- Karl Nurse running for re-election for St. Pete City CouncilPosted 13 hours ago
- Miami-Dade big budget winner againPosted 22 hours ago
- Max Baucus predicts IRS scandal will growPosted 23 hours ago
Not an Onion headline: Satanists to rally for Rick Scott on Jan. 25
Satanists from all over Florida are scheduled to gather on the steps of the Governor’s Office on Friday, January 25, in a show of solidarity for Governor Rick Scott, who, satanists say, has shown unwavering fortitude and progressive resolve in his defense of religious liberty, particularly in his approval of Senate Bill 98 [SB 98] authorizing “a district school board to adopt a policy that allows an inspirational message to be delivered by students at a student assembly; providing policy requirements; providing purpose, etc.”
Neil Bricke of the Satanic Temple will deliver a speech to the assembled crowd.
“The Satanic Temple embraces the free expression of religion, and Satanists are happy to show their support of Rick Scott who — particularly with SB 98 — has reaffirmed our American freedom to practice our faith openly, allowing our Satanic children the freedom to pray in school.”
The Satanic Temple seeks to raise awareness of their compassion-based religion, which has traditionally been grossly misunderstood and maligned.
“[We believe] that God is supernatural and thus outside of the sphere of the physical. God’s perfection means that he cannot interact with the imperfect corporeal realm. Because God cannot intervene in the material world, He created Satan to preside over the universe as His proxy. Satan has the compassion and wisdom of an angel. Although Satan is subordinate to God, he is mankind’s only conduit to the dominion beyond the physical. In addition, only Satan can hear our prayers and only Satan can respond. While God is beyond human comprehension, Satan desires to be known and knowable. Only in this way can there be justice and can life have meaning,” The Satanic Temple’s website states.