- Today on Context Florida: Jeb Bush & CD 13, payday loans, kid’s music and the definition of nakedPosted 1 min ago
- Compilation of reactions to David Jolly’s win in CD 13Posted 1 hour ago
- Aerospace means business as Florida Space Day comes to Capitol todayPosted 2 hours ago
- Legislature is full steam ahead on WednesdayPosted 2 hours ago
- Jeb Bush came to the rescue in Congressional District 13 racePosted 2 hours ago
- Celebrate Florida’s largest industry with Tourism Day on WednesdayPosted 15 hours ago
State Senator Jeff Brandes tells me he is not running for Bill Young’s seat
Well, you can scratch State Senator Jeff Brandes’ name from the list of possible successors to Congressman Bill Young.
The first-termer tells me he is — definitively — not running for Young’s seat in 2014; instead he is committed to seeking re-election to the Florida Senate.
“I know it’s been less than 24 hours since Congressman Young made his announcement, but this is an easy decision for me and my family,” said Brandes. “We have three young children. We have deep roots in St. Petersburg. And I just think, right now, I can get more done for our community from where I am at in the Florida Senate.”
Brandes, along with former St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Baker and State Senator Jack Latvala, are considered the three front-runners on the Republican side of the aisle to replace Young.